The Soaring Club of Tasmania (SCOT) is offering a unique and low-cost opportunity for any budding aviator to experience gliding and begin to establish the essential foundations of a successful career in aviation.
The ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ includes 6 instructional flights in one of our training aircraft covering the principles of aircraft handling and control that are common to all forms of fixed-wing aviation.
The GSP comprises:
- 3 months’ membership of Gliding Tasmania
- 3 months membership of the Gliding Federation of Australia (mandatory for insurance)
- 6 flights with a qualified and experienced club instructor, each to a height of 2000ft above ground and up to 30 minutes duration.
- An electronic copy of ‘Basic Gliding Knowledge’
- Glider Pilot Logbook
- Pilot Competency syllabus
The GSP, priced at $995, represents significant savings on the normal costs for new members. It is a great option for anyone considering a career in aviation, or gliding as a recreation/sport, or looking for a gift for a family member.
Following the completion of the five flights of the Gliding Starter Pack the purchaser may then commit to full membership of the Soaring Club of Tasmania, or choose not to proceed any further. There is no ongoing commitment unless the person wishes to continue.
The following Conditions of Sale apply to the sale of a ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ by the Soaring Club of Tasmania (SCOT). These Conditions are designed to protect the interests of both the Purchaser and the SCOT.
- Any student wishing to fly with SCOT using the ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ must be able to comply with the maximum seat weight limit, currently 110kg.
- The full purchase price of the ‘GlidingStarter Pack’ must be paid to CGC Inc. at the time of purchase.
- ‘GlidingStarter Pack’ may be transferred to another person other than the purchaser or, in the case of a gifted Pack, to another gift recipient up until the first flight is made using the Pack.
- The ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ may be returned by the original purchaser for refund up until the time the first flight using the Pack is taken. SCOT reserves the right to deduct an administration fee, not exceeding $50.
- The ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ entitles the student to 6 flights in a two-seater each to comprise a launch to 2000 feet above the ground and a flight of up to 30 minutes duration, depending upon weather conditions. The duration of any flight may be extended upon agreement with the Flight Instructor that the additional time will be paid for by the student at the current rate per minute applying for full flying members of the SCOT.
- If after the first flight, the student decides not to undertake the remaining flights, SCOT will refund the original purchaser the value of the Pack less the cost of an Air Experience Flight.
- No refund will be available following the second or subsequent flights.
- All persons attending the SCOT’s airfield at Tunbridge for the purposes of undertaking an ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ flight must at all time comply with the Standing Operational Procedures of the club as administered by the CGC Inc. Instructor of the Day.
- The validity period of a ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ is 3 months from the date of the first flight, which must occur within 12 months of the date of sale of the Pack.
- At the completion of the 6 ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ flights or at any stage during the validity period of the Pack, the person undertaking the flights may transition to full flying membership of the SCOT by way of an application form for membership, available on the club’s website.
- For the Gliding Starter Pack (GSP), and in order to transition to full membership, a person must have a certain level of medical fitness. There are three options available to prospective pilots for establishing their medical status. They can either:
- Hold a valid CASA Medical Certificate; or
- Be assessed by a GP against the medical standards for the issue of a private motor vehicle driver’s licence; or
- To complete a self-declaration that they are fit to fly a glider. The Declaration Form can be found on the Gliding Federation of Australia
website at -http://www.glidingaustralia.org/memberservices/membership
- If a person decides to transition to full flying membership of the SCOT before completion of their 6 ‘Gliding Starter Pack’ flights, a rebate of $50 for each remaining flight will be credited towards their Joining and Annual Membership fees.